September 30, 2023
Flat Roof Problems
Flat roofs are often frowned upon due to the fact that they are troublesome and hard to maintain. They leak, they crack, they bubble—And they need to be inspected frequently to make sure that they are functioning properly. On the other hand, flat roofs do have their benefits. For one, they are significantly cheaper to install than sloped roofs. They are available in various styles and materials such as; single-ply, built up, and sprayed polyurethane foam designs.
If you have a minute, we want to go over some common pros and cons associated with owning a flat roof with you. Hopefully, this will help you make an educated decision if you are ever faced with that option of buying one.
Flat Roof Problems – Pros and Cons
Flat Roof Problems – Pros
- Flat roofs are economical to build (about $0.80 a foot on average)
- Flat roofs reduce energy cost by reducing the overall building volume
- Flat roofs can be used like a patio, positioning of services, or as a green roof
- Flat roofs generally last 20 to 30 years on average.
- Flat roofs allow homeowners to use the space to make solar panels left less noxious or get their AC off the ground
- Flat roofs make cleaning gutters and installing or maintenancing a cinch
Flat Roof Problems – Cons
In this section, we will highlight some common flat roof problems:
- Flat roofs are known for alligatoring – (This happens when the asphalt used to construct your roof ages and loses its elasticity the crack and bubble)
- Flat roofs are prone to moisture damage due to puddling water
- Flat roofs are prone to mold and fungus grow the same reason
- Flat roofs get buckles in the membrane – (This is generally caused by the house shifting or settling, and when this happens, the life of your roof is over.)
- Flat roof crack – (This is caused by them being flat instead of sloped, mostly from pressure build-up.
- Because flat roofs expand and contract, they’re known for flashing problems – (When the flashing pulls away from the edges of the building)
Flat Roof Problems – Final THoughts
The reason we decided to share this blog, is because we feel that it is critical for residents and business owners to understand exactly what they are getting into ahead of time. You have to know all of the factors involved ahead of time to be able to make an educated decision when the time comes to-roof your home. Your assets as a homeowner or business owner are priceless. Your family. Beyond priceless.
If you are faced with the decision of whether or not to get a flat roof now or in the near future, and you’re still unsure after reading this blog about flat roof problems, just use this contact form, or call us at (651) 703-2336 and we will be happy to come out and give you a free roof inspection and estimate! We have friendly staff on hand 24 hours a day. 7 days a week to take your call, and we will be more than happy to give you our expert opinion on what roof is best for your home or building.
If you know someone that this information will help out, please share this post!