December 2, 2023
Decking is a home extension that provides a lifestyle. It also gives you life in the open air; it is an area of social activity and to let go of worries. You have the following building options:
- Those built with natural wood boards require at least (recommended) one annual maintenance.
- Those built with wood and plastic composite boards (WPC) are long-lasting and low maintenance.
- Those made with a more durable, easy-care material like vinyl are guaranteed for life.
- Those built with concrete boards do not require maintenance and are fireproof.
Create the space you want by considering the options described above and make it easy to clean, versatile, and beautiful.
How Many Decking Boards Do I Need?
To answer this question, you need the following:
Visualize your decking
As an owner, you can choose to build the decking almost anywhere, as long as you follow the local building codes.
When imagining the style of your decking, think about the following:
- Where do you want to locate the decking?
- What will the decking be used for?
- When are you more probably to use your decking?
- What decorative elements do you want to incorporate into your design?
Drawing the plans
Good manufacturing starts with an excellent plan. You need a tape measure, graph paper, a pencil, and a ruler. If you have layout software on a computer, that’s better. If you do not have the required skills, you can hire a construction professional to do the layout for you.
Regardless of how you make your plans, make sure they are elaborate to scale, with exact measures and structural details.
Certify code compliance
For your peace, previous to you start building your decking, be sure to verify with your municipality for the decking ordinances in your community. You may have to continue additional guidelines in historic conservationism or regulations governed by your homeowners’ association according to where you reside.
Calculate how much material you need
To find out how many decking boards you will need, check the deck space plan. If space is composed of more than one figure, for example, a square and a rectangle, it is advisable to treat them separately.
Then measure the length and width, if any, of each surface and multiply individually. This will result in the area in m2 of each figure, add them up, and get the total m2 you will need from tables.
To find out how many boxes are required, divide the total m2 by the yield indicated by the box of the material you want to install, which changes according to the model.
Consider an additional 10% of the material for cutting effect and replacement in the long term.
Once the question answered: How many decking boards do I need?
- Select the decking material
- When choosing the material for your decking, keep in mind the following elements:
- The decking will be exposed to atmospheric effects:
- – Sun/Rain/Snow/, and possibly salt spray if you live near an ocean.
- If you want to minimize the effects of weather and annual maintenance costs:
- Consider a decking made of a perdurable, easy-care material such as vinyl.
Vinyl decking is simple to clean, does not require painting, and is resistant to stains and discoloration. They come in a variety of styles and provide spectacular exterior finishes.
Hire the best New Brighton builder!
Who has extensive experience in emergency services and various restoration solutions such as Sellers Roofing Company – New Brighton.
Their track record and 100% satisfied customer policy lead them to manage your comfort concerning code compliance and material selection.
And when it comes to residential and commercial roofing, Sellers Roofing Company – New Brighton has you covered, in case you want to roof your decking. They can also verify your calculations of the material you need and other details to make your decking the best in your zone.